ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Friday, December 3, 2010

Chewy Cherry-Almond Bars

If it's been awhile since you had a cherry-almond combination, it's time to make these. I was re-amazed at the fabulous flavors - rich, fruity, truly delicious. The main ingredients - almonds, oats and cherry preserves - are perfectly balanced and showcased and I had a hard time limiting myself to only one or two at a time.

Also. I took these to a neighborhood gathering and two people asked me for the recipe. So it's not just me.

Chewy Cherry-Almond Bars
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups regular rolled oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 12-ounce jar cherry preserves

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside.

2. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and almond extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the oats, and almonds.

3. Remove 1/2 cup of the dough and set aside. Press the remaining dough evenly into prepared baking pan. Spread with preserves. Crumble the reserved 1/2 cup dough evenly over preserves layer.

4. Bake, uncovered, about 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using edges of foil, lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars. Makes 36 bars

1 comment:

Arlene Delloro said...

I love the combo of cherries and almonds. I've bookmarked these to try. Great blog. Do you really bake daily????

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...