ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Friday, June 18, 2010

Coconut Bread (in the Bread Machine!)

The thing for me about coconut is that I love the smell and flavor, don't love the texture (I am coming around.) I can handle it in cookies, and will tolerate it on and around cakes because it just tastes so good, but I can't have too much of the straight stuff. Luckily there are such things as coconut milk and coconut extract to boost flavor without overwhelming texture.


I was recently trying a new recipe for Polynesian Chicken for dinner, and was looking for something exotic but easy to accompany it. Google "bread machine coconut bread." I skimmed through a few results until I came to this one, which had good reviews and an ingredient list I could live with. Some folks said the flavor was too mild but they had also left out the extract, so what did they expect? Also, the recipe said to cook it on the Sweet cycle, which I've never used, so I looked it up in my machine manual and it explained that the sweet cycle is for breads that have more sugar and/or fat and therefore brown more easily. It's 10 minutes shorter than the Basic cycle. I figured since coconut milk is the only liquid, and there is also an egg yolk, we'd try Sweet. It came out beautifully.



The smell, as you might imagine, was heavenly. The bread was sturdy but very soft and was pretty much all I would hope for. It was slightly sweet, as it should be, but not like a dessert or quick bread. It was perfect for our polynesian dinner, and equally perfect toasted for breakfast the next day. Since it only took 1 cup of coconut milk, and there was almost as much left in the can, I made another loaf after dinner and took it to my sister at 11pm - why not? Next time I'll make the second loaf for myself and see what kind of French toast or bread pudding it makes - mmm!


Coconut Bread
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
3 cups flour (recipe says all-purpose is fine but I used half all-purpose and half bread flour)
1/3 cup coconut (the stuff from a bag in the baking aisle)
2 1/2 T sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

Measure ingredients into bread machine pan according to manufacturer instructions. Cook on the sweet or basic cycle. Makes one 1.5 lb loaf.

Recipe from Recipezaar.com

4 comments:

Abby said...

If you love coconut milk, I suggest you try this: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1031655

Add some kaffir lime leaves if they're easily available, and more coconut milk.

Just Katy said...

Mmmm. I love this bread!! It's hot but I don't think I can resist mixing up a loaf - it's SOOO yummy.

Kim Kelly said...

Excellent photos and review. I can't wait to give this one a try for myself. I'm a recent coconut fan, and this looks like it will definitely fit the bill. Thanks for much for the post!

Kim Kelly said...

I finally got around to making this today, and you are correct, it was excellent! Rose beautifully and had a nice, subtle coconut flavor. My son said "Mom... could you make this every day?" A definite keeper for us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...