ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Banana Cupcakes with Honey-Cinnamon Frosting (from Kat)

Kat says: We had some bananas that needed using, and I didn’t want to make just regular banana bread. These are my new go-to for ripe bananas! The cupcakes are not as dense as banana bread, but still moist. The frosting is what totally makes these babies. Honey and cinnamon? Why haven’t I thought of this before? I guess that’s why I’m not making the big bucks Martha is. Martha’s frosting called for all butter – I used half butter, half cream cheese. I think next time I’ll do all cream cheese, because that would make it just that much richer and finger-lickin’ good.Banana Cupcakes with Honey-Cinnamon Frosting
Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas), plus 1 whole banana for garnish (optional)
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Mini chocolate chips, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

3. Make a well in center of flour mixture. In well, mix together butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla [and mini-chocolate chips, if you’re so inclined. I always add chocolate chips to banana bread, because I’m that kind of gal, and the mini ones just seem to work better for me – better chocolate distribution.]. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not over mix). Spoon batter into muffin cups.

4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Spread tops with Honey-Cinnamon Frosting. If desired, just before serving, peel and slice banana into rounds, and place one on each cupcake. Makes 18 cupcakes.

Honey-Cinnamon Frosting
1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar - SIFTED
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature OR 1/2 cup cream cheese
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter or cream cheese until soft. Add powdered sugar, honey and cinnamon and beat until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart, Everyday Food March 2008

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...