ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sour Cream Muffins with Poppy Seed Streusel

You know that 7am church meeting I mentioned? Ward council. And believe it or not, I actually don't mind. Because even though it means I have to get up extra early, it also means I don't have to do a thing to get the kids ready; they just come and meet me when church starts at 9. It's all Ed those mornings.

As you might imagine, these simple sweet muffins were a hit with the 7 o'clock crowd. Of course, they don't have very high standards. But I do, and they were a hit with me, too. Someone did ask, jokingly, "Is that mold on the top?" I need to find out what he's allergic to and make him something special next month.

I'd like to dedicate these muffins to my daughter Poppy (it is the first thing I've made with poppy seeds since she was born, plus she was a champ in the Bumbo while I made them) and my Mom, who happened to have a carton of sour cream in her fridge she gave me, and I used in this recipe.

Sour Cream Muffins with Poppy Seed Streusel
Streusel:
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon poppy seeds

Muffins:
2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 (8-ounce) container reduced-fat sour cream
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 375°. To prepare streusel, combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

2. To prepare muffins, lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture.

3. Combine buttermilk and remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a small bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into 12 to 15 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter. Bake at 375° for 15 50 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove muffins from pans immediately; place on a wire rack. Makes 12 to 15 muffins

Recipe from Cooking Light, November 2005

1 comment:

Sue Ann said...

These look and sound wonderful! Heck, I think I can smell them!
I love anything with poppy seeds and have been searching for interesting recipes. This one is a keeper! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...