ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

S'mores Pie

I don't know if it was the recent church campout, that I was in charge of, and was so stressed out at that I never got to make a darn s'more, or if it was the five bags of marshmallows and six boxes of graham crackers leftover from said campout, or just the fact that I hadn't made a good chocolate dessert in awhile, but when I crossed this recipe, there was no doubt. I was making this next.
It's just so toasty! And chocolately! And grahamy! And yes, "grahamy" is a word, why would you even question? Under those toasty devils is a thick chocolate fudge/ganache filling, all held in by a loving homemade crust. No camping required.

Careful when reading Step 3. I didn't like the way the original recipe did it so I've made my own notes and suggestions for next time. There will definitely be a next time.

S'mores Pie
Crust
1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 1 plastic wrapped package of crackers)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
5 T unsalted butter, melted

Filling
5 oz. premium dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup whole milk
2 T unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Topping
18 large, fresh purchased marshmallows

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, mix the graham crumbs, sugar and melted butter until well blended and crumbly. Transfer to a 9-inch freezer-to-oven pie pan and lightly press onto the bottom of the pan. Bake until set and fragrant, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.

2. Place the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl (I used the same as for mixing the crust.) In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk and butter until the butter is melted and small bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Stir to combine. Pour the hot milk mixture over the chocolate. Let stand for several minutes, then stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the salt and vanilla until blended. Let cool completely. Pour into the crust and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.

3. *Here is what the original says: Heat the oven broiler to low. Cut each marshmallow in half crosswise and arrange the halves, cut side down, to cover the top of the pie. Place the pie on the lowest rack of the oven until the marshmallows toast. Watch carefully; once they start to brown, they toast quickly. Serve while the marshmallows are still warm.

*Here is what I say: What is the point of me chilling the chocolate filling overnight for it to just melt in the oven while I wait 15 minutes for the marshmallows to toast under a low broiler? I say, heat broiler to HIGH. Put marshmallows on pie as directed above. Place pie on MIDDLE oven rack and do not take your eyes off it while they toast. You want the marshmallows to toast without the filling completley melting. But even though mine melted, it was still oh-so-yummy. And gooey just like a real s'more.

Recipe from Deep Dark Chocolate: Decadent Recipes for the Serious Chocolate Lover by Sara Perry

1 comment:

Just Katy said...

This brilliant. And tragic. Miriam doesn't let me eat chocolate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...