ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Easy Pretzel Fudge

 First of all, Happy New Year!

It's crazy how fast the holiday season went, and now here we are in the stark-mantled, bare-branched, chill-breezed letdown of January.  Have some chocolate.

Second, guess if Santa brought me an unexpected-despite-heavy-hints new camera for Christmas?  Yes, yes, he did.  So my photos may be improving...eventually.   First I have to get through the backlog of good things I still want to post but used my old camera on.  Then I have to figure out how to use my new awesomeness.  Then I should probably take a class or something.  Like I said...eventually.  But I did photo this easy fudge New Year's morning with it.  Perfect morning light always helps.
My sister-in-law loves chocolate covered pretzels, but for some reason can't stand chocolate when she's pregnant.  She just had her fourth child in December, so I wanted to give her some chocolate-pretzel-ness to help her start making up for lost time.  I may have also eaten my share, though I have no lost time to make up.  But it's January, and I'm depressed!  Easy fudge definitely helps with that. 

Pretzel Fudge (print recipe)
Nonstick cooking spray
2 T unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (16 ounces)
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp fine salt
2 1/2 cups roughly chopped miniature pretzels
3/4 cups peanuts, optional

1.  Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides.

2.  Place butter, chocolate chips, condensed milk, vanilla and salt in a medium heatproof bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water.  Stir occasionally until chocolate just melts and mixture is combined and warm but not hot, 8 to 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups pretzels (and peanuts, if using.)  Transfer mixture to pan and smooth top; press 1/2 cup pretzels on top.  Refrigerate until set, 2 hours (or up to overnight, wrapped).  Using parchment, lift fudge from pan and cut into 36 squares.  (Store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.)  Makes 36

Recipe from Everyday Food, June 2011

2 comments:

Shells said...

These were definitely a nice way to get my fix! Luckily the kids never think to look in the fridge for something sweet so I have had them mostly to myself! YUM.

Leslie said...

Pretzel fudge....oh my heavens..that looks like something I would make!!! YUM YUM YUM...salty and sweet and just perfect

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...