ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Frozen Pistachio Pie

Here's the "gadget" treat I made for Dessert Club.  I had a set of six mini tart pans, so I just adapted it to tarts instead of a big pie.  I searched high and low for a recipe that inspired me.  I had it narrowed down to these and these (I still want to make both.) 

Then I found this one.  Ordered myself some pistachio paste.  (And a back issue of KAF The Baking Sheet which has more recipes I can make with it.)  I just loved the idea of chocolate crust with purely pistachio cream filling.  And, ahem, I wasn't the only one who loved them.  These were a very closer runner up in the always-competitive Dessert Club vote.  Yum! 

And a side note: you know I love yellowy-greens - these were such an awesome color!

Frozen Pistachio Pie (print recipe)
Crust:

1 prebaked Chocolate Cookie Crust

Filling:

2 large whole eggs
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
4 ounces (1/2 cup) pistachio paste
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Chopped pistachios, for garnish

1.  Make and cool the crust.

2.  For the filling, beat the eggs, yolks and confectioners' sugar together in the top of a double boiler.  Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until thickened and the temperature reaches 165 degrees F.

3.  Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the pistachio paste.  Set over a pan of ice water to cool, stirring occasionally.

4.  In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream and then fold it into the cooled egg mixture.  Spoon it into the prepared crust, sprinkle with chopped nuts and freeze for at least 6 hours, until firm.

Recipe from King Arthur Flour

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...