ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Build-Your-Own-Ice-Cream-Sandwich Party

I have been so excited about this, I moved it to the front of the queue! On Sunday, National Ice Cream Day, we hosted an ice cream sandwich party, inspired by this California ice cream shop, which I saw on this jaw-dropping wedding feature (yes, yes, yes, go through all the pictures. You will be astounded, as I was, and wish you could be, or at least know, people that cool.)

My friend Ashely and I collaborated on the menu, and we both spent all week baking and churning. The goal was to have at least two ice creams that could go with each cookie, and at least two cookies that could go with each ice cream. You gotta have options. The lineup:

COOKIES (clockwise from top): Peanut Butter, Lime Meltaways, Double Chocolate, Caramel-Stuffed Snickerdoodles (recipe coming), Chocolate Chip
ICE CREAM
(clockwise from top): Salted Caramel, Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet, Toasted Marshmallow (wait for it), Toasted Coconut, Chocolate

TOPPINGS (for rolling your edges in): chopped smoked almonds, mini chocolate chips, toasted coconut, black & white krispies, graham cracker crumbs, rainbow sprinkles
We had twenty-one people over. And, putting my college credits to use, we had 150 possible combinations. Or 750 if you use two different kinds of cookies on the top and bottom. Which many did.

Here's the one I made: peanut butter cookie, toasted marshmallow ice cream, caramel-stuffed snickerdoodle, rolled in smoked almonds.
Unfortunately, it's hard to be mom, hostess and photographer all at once (plus my camera batteries died), so there are no more pictures of the party, or the glorious sandwiches it produced. But it was SO much fun, and something I'd like to try again, of course with new flavors.

So. Two questions for you:
1. What unique combination would you make from the options above?
2. If you were throwing your own BYOICS Party, what cookies and ice creams would you include?

3 comments:

Novelty Pens said...

That is so fun! What a great idea for s summer party! They look so good!

Janet said...

Ok, I'd like a lime melt-away and double chocolate cookies with toasted coconut ice cream in the middle rolled in almonds. Do you do home delivery? Great idea--though I'd want to add something minty. I love the printable versions of the recipes.

kat said...

oh.my.goodness. what a fantastic idea for a party! total genius. i wish i was there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...