ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lemon Bars

I love lemon bars and have tried several recipes looking for one that is easy, very lemony, and doesn't skimp on the filling. This is by far the best one I've tried. I admit, I had whisked these off to a preschool luncheon before taking a picture, but there were lots to choose from on Google and I tried to pick one that best represented the cookie-to-filling ratio of the bars I made. Nice and thick. And well set-up.

One woman at the luncheon told me, not knowing I had made them, that she was going to confiscate the plate of lemon bars and sneak them off to her car. Random endorsement, but an honest one! And deserving; these were really good.

Lemon Bars
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 T cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
3/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup half-and-half, light cream or milk
3 T all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside.

2. For crust: In a large bowl combine the 2 cups flour, the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, the cornstarch, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture evenly into prepared baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

3. Meanwhile for filling: In a medium bowl stir together eggs, granulated sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, half-and-half, and the 3 T flour. Pour filling over hot crust. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes more or until center is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

4. Using edges of foil, lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars. Before serving, sprinkle bars with powdered sugar. Makes 36 bars

Recipe from 9 x 13: The Perfect Fit Dish

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...