ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cranberry Walnut Bread

This is so close to my favorite Cinnamon Raisin bread that I hesitated to even post it. But it is a little different. I mean, it has cranberries and walnuts instead of raisins for one. Plus I got it from a different source, so that makes it a different recipe. I am always, always collecting good recipes for my bread machine so even though it is close, I'm calling it a different recipe.

It fills the house with cinnamon goodness while it cooks and is great with dinner, breakfast, toasted, French toast, snack, etc. The day I made it, I started it a little too late to have it with dinner but we could smell it while we ate, so when it did come out the kids asked for a piece for dessert. It was all soft and stretchy and warm - who could blame them? It was one of the best desserts we'd had in awhile (and in my house, that is saying something.)

Cranberry Walnut Bread
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
4 1/2 tsp butter, softened
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries

1. In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients (water through yeast) in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting; choose crust color and size setting (1.5 lb loaf.) Bake.

2. Just before final kneading (most machines beep), add the walnuts and cranberries.

*Sorry no picture. It was just one of those days. Use your imagination.

Recipe from Quick Cooking, Sept/Oct 2004

2 comments:

deborah said...

Great recipe Kari. I want to try it but I don't have a bread machine. Do I need one?

Disco Mom said...

No, you don't need a bread machine. Just follow basic bread-making instructions, like proof the yeast, knead the dough for 8 minutes or so, let rise once to double, punch down, place in bread pan, let rise again about 35-45 minutes, then bake probably at 350. Watch it, not sure how long.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...