ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Apple Cake with Buttery Caramel Sauce

I was tempted to write part of the title in all caps: BUTTERY CARAMEL SAUCE, because it is: AMAZING, but then that would make it seem like the Apple Cake wasn't, so I left it.

I told you I've struggled to find a decent apple cake, right? It seems like an important piece to have in the repertoire. Well this one fits the bill (though I still want to find a good Bundt one.) I was afraid, when I put it in the oven, that it wouldn't turn out. There seemed to be an awful lot of apples in not-so-much batter, but I'm glad I trusted the recipe. The cake baked up light and spicy around those apples and made for a perfect - not too dry, not too moist - treat.And that sauce! Who knew butter and cream and sugar could make something so delectable? Ok, we probably could have guessed they could, but why have I never made this before? I admit to taking one, maybe two, spoonfuls straight into my mouth before drizzling it over my cake. Buttery. Caramel-y. Indeed.
Apple Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (I put in more, like 3/4)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I put in more, like 3/4)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
6 cups chopped, unpeeled cooking apples (I used my twirly peeler)
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)
1 recipe Buttery Caramel Sauce (for real!)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking pan; set pan aside. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking soda; set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl; beat for 2 more minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Fold in apples and nuts. Batter will be thick and that's OK! Spread batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 45 minutes. Serve with Buttery Caramel Sauce (yo!)
Buttery Caramel Sauce (What You've Been Waiting For)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla

In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in granulated sugar, brown sugar, and whipping cream. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm.

*I don't know where this recipe came from. I saved it out of some junkmail cookbook offer because the picture looked good. Makes me wonder about the cookbook. It is possibly from the Better Homes & Gardens family, but that doesn't narrow it down much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (15th edition, c. 2010), and the recipe was printed in recent mailings from The Good Cook book club.

I've made it with whole wheat flour, and again substituting whole wheat flour and brown sugar for the white flour and white sugar in the cake. Delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...