ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."
Sunday, September 30, 2012
Lemon-Raspberry Coffee Cake
Lemon-Raspberry Coffee Cake (print recipe)
Makes 10 servings
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
1 cup fresh raspberries
Powdered sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment. Grease and lightly flour pan; set aside. For cake, in a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl beat 1 cup of the granulated sugar and the butter with mixer on medium to high until combined. Add 1 egg and the vanilla. Beat on low to medium 1 minute. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to sugar mixture, beating just until combined after each addition; set aside.
3. For cheesecake filling, in small mixing bowl beat cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar on medium to high until combined. Add lemon peel and 1 egg. Beat until combined.
4. Spoon half the cake batter into prepared pan, spreading to edges. Pour cream cheese mixture on cake batter, spreading to edges. Dollop remaining batter on cream cheese layer, carefully spreading to edges of pan.
5. Bake 20 minutes or until puffed. Gently press raspberries into cake. Bake 25 to 30 minutes more or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen edges of cake from pan; remove from pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, April 2012
1 year ago: Chocolate Pudding
2 years ago: S'mores Pie
3 years ago: Cream Cheese Carrot Cake Muffins