ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fresh Orange Cookies

These cakey, fruity cookies are very similar to the Lemon Sour Cream Cookies I posted a few weeks ago. But I like them even more. I think the flavor is stronger, and I even added in a little orange extract to the frosting to put it over the top. I took these to a preschool function and the platter came home clean.

I got about 1 Tablespoon of zest off of one large navel orange. Between the cookies and the frosting, that's the zest of four oranges, and the juice of about 2 or 2 1/2. A zested orange turns hard quickly, so eat or use the unjuiced oranges soon. We sliced them and ate them for dinner that night.

Cookies:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup orange juice
3 T grated orange peel

Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar
1 T grated orange peel
2 to 3 T orange juice
1/2 tsp orange extract, optional

1. Preheat oven to 375. In large bowl, combine sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add sour cream and eggs; blend well. Add all remaining cookie ingredients; mix well. Drop dough by rounded spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets.

2. Bake for 8 to 11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Immediately remove cookies from sheets.

3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine all frosting ingredients, adding enough orange juice for desired spreading consistency. Frost warm cookies for a shiny glaze; wait to frost cooled cookies for a more distinctive icing. Makes about 5 dozen using a 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop.

Per cookie: Cal 90, Fat 4g, Chol 5mg, Sod 80mg, Fiber 0g
Recipe from Pillsbury Best Cookies Cookbook

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Oh if I only had some oranges! those sound wonderful and I want to bake something!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...