ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Big Fat n' Fudgy Shoebox Brownies

We were having a friend over for Family Home Evening. I hadn't gone shopping for the week so I had to work with cupboard staples. I also had to clean the house so I needed something fast, that didn't require scooping, rolling, cutting, etc. Perfect time to try these big fat brownies from Marcy Goldman.

Apparently 11 x 7 brownie pans can be hard to find. I bought one once at Safeway in Colorado years ago, but if you don't have one or can't find one an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 square pan is almost as good. Double the recipe to use a 9 x 13 pan.

There's not much more to say about these brownies; the title pretty much says it all. The "shoebox" part comes from older times when people would pack up brownies in shoeboxes? I suppose these days we might call them "Big Fat n' Fudgy Gladware Brownies" but it just doesn't have the same ring. So maybe Big Fat n' Fudgy is enough. More than enough.

1/2 cup unsalted butter
7 oz. semisweet chocolate, cut into chunks
2 T cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350. Generously spray 11 x 7 pan with nonstick cooking spray and place pan on a parchment lined baking sheet.

2. Melt butter and chocolate over low heat in a heavy bottomed 1 quart saucepan and stir until smooth. Add cocoa. Remove from heat, spoon into a medium bowl, and let cool to room temperature.

3. Add sugar, vanilla, and eggs, stirring until smooth. Fold in flour, salt and then walnuts and stir to make a smooth batter.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until brownies seem just set. It is tricky to test these, but if you do underbake them, just freeze brownies and serve well chilled.

2 comments:

Our family said...

Having made these, there is only one word to describe them...D-I-V-I-N-E!!!!

Unknown said...

My name is Lydia Faulkner and I live in your sister Tona's ward in Massachusetts. We moved here from CA last August and I sit next to your sister during choir. Astoundingly beautiful voice - full of life and fun and brilliant !!!She made some incredible cookies for an event at Christmas and after begging her to give me the recipe for months - she finally revealed her secret weapon - YOU !!! I have been all over your virtual goody plate blog site. I love it and I have now made those chocolate turtle cookies twice and they are to DIE for !!! They are inhaled the minute that they are cooked !! I am somehow going to try to get through all these recipes in my lifetime. I love the pictures and the commentary and will have to turn on some of my "cookie monster" friends to this blog. I know they will love it !! I have a friend in CA that teaches RS one Sunday a month and her "thing" is baking cookies and bringing them to church and you get to try them "as long as you read the lesson or are going to read the lesson". She will love this site as well. I think that someday a store front called The Goody Plate or The Cookie Plate just might be in order !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...