ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies

We all know white "chocolate" isn't chocolate at all and shouldn't even have that name, it's ridiculous. I stay away from the stuff as a general rule. But since I am the embodiment of culinary tolerance, even I can admit it can sometimes have its place in a baked good, contributing sweetness, flavor and texture for the greater good of the finished product.

But Martha was pushing my tolerance with this cookie...at first. I followed her directions perfectly, including the TWO CUPS of white chocolate, but once I had the dough all stirred up, I was like, "Are you kidding me? Can I have some cookie with my white chocolate? C'mon!"

But I scooped and baked like a good girl anyway. When they were hot I tried one, and I had to admit it was good. I took the cookies to a preschool function and they did get gobbled up, with at least two people going out of their way to tell me how much they liked them. I even ate a few more. So for this post I compromised. I still think 2 cups is too much, and next time I would more likely do 1 cup white, 1 cup semisweet, or at least 1 1/2 white, 1/2 semisweet. But that's just me and my prejudice against white "chocolate." They really are delicious no matter what.

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 to 2 cups white chocolate chunks
1 3/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 3/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350. Put butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Mix in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Mix into butter mixture on low speed until well combined. Stir in chocolate, coconut and walnuts.

3. Using a 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop, drop batter onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire rack 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 week.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...