ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."
Sunday, November 18, 2012
Salted Almond Praline Tart
Better Homes and Gardens teamed up with the Almond Board of California for a "Crowd-Pleasing Almond Dishes" contest, and you guessed it, this was one of the winners. So now it's a two-time award winner. So you should make it this week. And maybe every week after. Definitely for your next recipe contest. Yum.
Salted Almond Praline Tart (print recipe)
Makes 12 servings
2 1/2 cups broken cinnamon graham crackers (or cinnamon Teddy Grahams)
1 cup toasted sliced almonds
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
Almond Tart Filling:
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 1/2 oz. white baking chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
Salted Almond Praline:
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup sugar
2 T melted butter
1 T water
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Prepare crust: In food processor, combine grahams, almonds, and sugar. Cover; process until finely ground. Add butter. Pulse to combine. Press into bottom and sides of 10-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Chill 15 minutes. Place on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned; cool.
2. Prepare filling: In saucepan combine 8 oz. cream cheese and white chocolate. Stir over low heat until melted. In bowl beat remaining cream cheese on medium to high for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until smooth. Beat in melted mixture until combined. Beat in sour cream and extract until combined. Beat in egg and yolk until combined Pour into crust.
3. Bake in 325F oven 35 minutes or until center is nearly set when gently shaken. Cool on rack 30 minutes. Loosen crust from side of pan, but do not remove. Chill at least 2 hours.
4. Make Salted Almond Praline: Heat oven to 325F. Line a baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. In bowl combine 1 cup sliced almonds, the sugar, melted butter, water, cinnamon and salt. Spread evenly in pan. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on rack. Break into pieces.
5. Remove tart from pan. Top with whipped cream, Salted Almond Praline, and raspberries. Serve.
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, July 2012