ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Monday, August 13, 2012

Chocolate Mousse Cake

When we went on vacation in June, I was looking for a very specific recipe.  It was going to be my sister-in-law's birthday that week, so I wanted to make her a cake.  We were staying in timeshare condos, but I wasn't sure what equipment the kitchen would and wouldn't have, and I didn't want to have to bring anything more than necessary.  So I wanted a one-bowl, one-pan, straightforward-prep cake that would be delicious, interesting, and birthday-worthy.  And preferably very chocolate.  Found it.
It actually takes two bowls.  But I brought my hand mixer, springform, and all the ingredients, premeasured in baggies.  And it worked out perfectly!  This cake cooks up rich and cakey around the edges, with a soft moussey offering in the center, and a crackly crust on top.  So gooey and awesome.

Chocolate Mousse Cake (print recipe)
Serves 8 to 10

(1 T instant coffee - totally optional!  I didn't use it)
2 sticks butter, melted
8 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
16 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, melted
6 T flour
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Add instant coffee, if using, to melted butter.  Set aside.

2.  Beat the egg whites until stiff, set aside.  Beat the egg yolks until lemon colored in an upright mixer.  Add the sugar to the egg yolks and beat until combined.  Add the vanilla, melted butter, and chocolate.  Add the flour, just to combine.  Fold in the egg whites and nuts.

3.  Pour into a greased and floured 9-inch springform pan and bake about 20 minutes.  Center will be soft.  Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Happy Birthday, Michelle!
Recipe adapted from FoodNetwork.com 

1 year ago:  Blueberry Cupcakes with Maple Brown Butter Frosting
2 years ago:  Best Blueberry Muffins EVER
3 years ago:  Ham and Swiss Stromboli 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...