ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pistachio Pound Cake


 For Mother's Day we had the whole clan over - my family, my parents, my brother & his family; thirteen in all.  Obviously, one dessert was not going to be enough. So I took my big stack of gotta-makes, and narrowed it down to two that I really, really wanted to try and that would complement each other if served side-by-side. 

First, this gorgeous pistachio loaf flavored with bright but subtle citrus and chock full of chopped pistachios; I never tire of how they make baked goods look and taste.  (And don't hold that overdone edge against the recipe; it's my pan for sure, I have cheap ones.  But since then have replaced some with my Mother's Day Williams Sonoma gift card...here's to a future of even baking!)

Bon Appétit designates a couple pages at the beginning of each issue to recipes that readers have asked the magazine to request from restaurants they love.  I love it; they'd never give a house recipe to a customer who asks for it, but if Bon Appétit comes calling, they often do.  I've gotten some of my favorite recipes from this feature, this one included.  BA says, "Chef Raymond Vadergaag [of The Tasting Room in Houston] dresses up this citrusy cake with whipped cream and truffled honey, an unnecessary but welcome gilding of the lily."  And that's why I'm a blogger instead of a real writer.  At least I have good taste.
  
Pistachio Pound Cake (print recipe)
An original recipe from The Tasting Room at CityCentre in Houston
Serves 8 to 10

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for pan
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T fresh orange juice
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
1 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped, divided

1.  Arrange rack in middle of oven; preheat to 325.  Coat a 9x5x3" loaf pan with nonstick spray.  Dust pan with flour; tap out excess.

2.  Whisk 2 cups flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.  Using an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.  Add sugar; beat until well incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions.  Add juices and zests; beat until well combined (mixture will look curdled), 2 to 3 minutes.  Add dry ingredients; reduce speed to low and beat just until blended.  Fold in 3/4 cup pistachios.  Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top.  Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup pistachios over.

3.  Bake cake, rotating halfway through, until a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours.  Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely in pan.  Run a sharp knife around sides to loosen; unmold cake. 

(Can be made 1 day ahead.  Store airtight at room temperature.)
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appétit, April 2012

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...