Toffee Crunchers (print recipe)
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups (5 3/4 ounces) lightly crushed plain salted potato chips
2 cups (1 3/4 ounces) Rice Krispies
1 1/3 cups (6 3/4 ounces) toffee bits
1. Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease or line with parchment two baking sheets.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, baking soda and baking powder. Mix in the flour, then gently stir in the potato chips, rice cereal and toffee bits.
3. Drop the dough by tablespoon fun onto prepared baking sheets. If dough is very crumbly, form tight balls by hand, and slightly flatten, like a patty. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Substitute 2/3 cup butterscotch chips and 2/3 cup chopped pecans for the toffee bits.
- Substitute 2 cups gently crushed cornflakes for the rice cereal.