Definitely, definitely time for some chocolate. Maybe with a caramel-hazelnut layer on top. And then some more chocolate and chopped hazelnuts. Yeah, so...anyone out there not like where I'm going with this?Fudgy brownie, yummy chewy gooey caramel layer, toasty hazelnuts, dark chocolate...just cut the brownies small if you've got lightweights around. Because these are for serious brownie lovers only!
Caramel-Hazelnut Brownies (print recipe)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 2/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks), melted
2 tsp vanilla
1 14-ounce package vanilla caramels, unwrapped
2 T milk
1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
2 T hazelnut liqueur, optional (I left out)
2 cups dark or bittersweet chocolate pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Generously grease foil; set pan aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. In an extra-large bowl combine sugar and melted butter. Beat with an electric mixer on low until well mixed. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Add flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Spread batter evenly in prepared baking pan.
3. In a large microwave-safe bowl combine caramels and milk. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 1/4 to 2 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in 1/2 cup of the hazelnuts and the liqueur, if using. Drizzle caramel mixture over batter in pan.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate pieces. Let stand about 2 minutes or until chocolate is softened. Spread chocolate evenly over brownies. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup hazelnuts.
5. Cool in pan on a wire rack. If necessary, chill until chocolate is set. Using edges of foil, lift brownies out of pan. Cut into bars. Makes 36 brownies.
Recipe from 9x13: The Perfect Fit Dish