ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pancake Week #3 Carrot Cake Pancakes with Honey Butter

Are you kidding me??? Why has it taken me three years to get these sweeties made and posted? There is no excuse; it is ridiculous and I apologize. In addition, why couldn't Snooze, the Denver-based eatery from whence these are inspired, have been around when I lived there? The pancake world is full of injustices.

These comforting cakey flapjacks feature warm spices and bright carrot color and flavor. My family gobbled them up and asked for more. And after yesterday's indulgence, these are even kinda sorta healthy. I mean, there are vegetables! And no ice cream! So, you know, they're healthy!

And before I end the commentary, please take a quick look at Snooze's other offerings. Seriously? I'll have a "Sandwich I Am", Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes (gotta get that recipe!), and a Vanilla Almond Oatmeal Brulee. For starters.

Carrot Cake Pancakes with Honey Butter (print recipe)
5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Dash of ground cloves
Dash of ground ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups finely grated carrot (about 1 pound)
Cooking spray
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons honey

1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through ginger) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (through eggs); add sugar mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in 2 cups carrot.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon 4 (1/4 cup) batter mounds onto pan, spreading with a spatula. Cook for 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook 1 minute or until bottoms are lightly browned. Repeat procedure twice with remaining batter. Combine butter and honey in a small bowl; serve with pancakes.

Recipe from Cooking Light, January 2010

1 comment:

eatgood4life.blogspot.com said...

Oh wow this sounds very interesting. I bet the carrots are a very nice addition to the pancake, nutritious as well :-). I might venture and try this very soon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...