ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Seriously Real Instant Hot Chocolate

It's too bad that somewhere along the way, "instant" has come to mean "powdered." Right? Soup, oatmeal and definitely hot chocolate. I'm not one to turn down Swiss Miss when that's all there is, but I really love a good hot chocolate. In order, my favorites are 1 - Jacques Torres Classic, 2 - Lake Champlain Aztec, 3 - Starbucks (non-fat, no whipped cream, nutmeg sprinkled on. OK, maybe whipped cream sometimes.)

And now I have a new favorite, I think maybe it can volley back and forth between the #1 and #2 spots. Diane Unger, who developed this recipe for Cook's Country, is in my opinion quite the clever little vixen. OF COURSE a big ball of chocolate ganache would make the perfect hot chocolate, just add milk! Why oh why is everyone out there trying to make their own hot chocolate mix with things like dry milk and non-dairy creamer when there is this? Even Ed, who sometimes can't handle the good stuff, loved it and asked for a second cup. Because it's real. Seriously real.

Seriously Real Instant Hot Chocolate
1 (12-ounce) bag (2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips OR 12 ounces high quality dark chocolate, uniformly chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt

1. Microwave chocolate, cream and salt in large bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.

2. Roll 3 tablespoons chilled chocolate mixture into ten 2-inch balls. Individually wrap balls in plastic wrap and transfer to zipper-lock bag. Refrigerate for 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
3. To make 1 cup of hot chocolate, combine 1 unwrapped chocolate ball and 1 cup whole or low-fat milk in large mug. Microwave, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Serve. You know it.Recipe from Cook's Country, Oct/Nov 2010

Click here for printable recipe

8 comments:

Liz said...

That sounds amazing...I am going to try something now that you gave me the idea. I rec'd a box of truffles covered in cocoa powder. Maybe adding them to milk and microwaving would make a good cup of cocoa!!!! Will let you know...I won't feel so guilty eating them either LOL

Kelly said...

In my opinion, after the kind of chocolate you use, the most important part is the milk. If you're using heavy cream, that's some serious hot chocolate! It's ALL about the cream. :)

I found a place in CT that blows Mr Jacques out of the water. Some Belgian man who's name escapes me, but if you're ever in the area, I'll send you his way.

Shells said...

I saw this and have been meaning to make it - now I definitely have to.

Arlene Delloro said...

OMG! I want some right now.

Our family said...

Can't wait to make this!

Cheryl Kohan said...

I'm making this, TODAY!

Lara said...

Best hot chocolate EVER!!!

Marie W said...

Did you know you are being linked to? Another recipe blog I follow showed up with a little shout out to VGP. Check it out.

http://recipeshoebox.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...