ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Saturday, January 22, 2011

My First Fudge

Can you believe it? I'd just never made fudge before. Along with brioche, eclairs and crepe cake. Fudge is something I buy at specialty shops on vacation and get on goody plates at Christmas. I love it; it's like squares of thick frosting. I can eat a lot of it. Which may be why I've never made it.

Not true. The reason I've never made it, is because once when I was young (maybe 13?) I tried. I had some recipe that required the boiling product to reach "soft ball stage," which I had very carefully read up on, but try as I might I couldn't get a soft ball to form in my cup of water and the mass overcooked and it was all a waste. And I was scarred. Soft ball, my foot!

So until now I've just let others cook my fudge for me. But I had this jar of marshmallow creme in my cupboard (I had bought it for some recipe I never ended up making), and it had a recipe on the back, and I was having one of those crappy days when a couple hunks of solid frosting sounded OK, so I whipped this up. Thanks to my reliable candy thermometer, no soft balling was required.

I think there are a lot of ways to make fudge, but I think the final product is always good and all pretty much the same. As was this. It looks and tastes like fudge. Which is really good. And which makes a crappy day quite a bit sweeter.

My First Fudge

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
12 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 tsp vanilla

1. Line a 9-inch square pan with foil.

2. Bring sugar, butter and milk to a full rolling boil in a large saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 4 minutes or until 234 degrees on candy thermometer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

3. Add chocolate and marshmallow creme; stir until melted. Stir in nuts and vanilla.

4. Pour into pan. Cool and slice into squares. Makes 3 pounds.
Recipe from the Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme jar

Click here for printable recipe

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Yep..thats the recipe I use too! Its the best and everyone raves about it!

Greg and Michelle said...

"Really? This is the first time she's made fudge?" Greg said as I shared this most recent deletable post with him. We were both surprised to notice that this is only the first time you have made and reported fudge on your blog - we are glad it worked out so well for you!

MCFRESH said...

Haha I think Michelle meant, "delectable."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...