ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Monday, March 8, 2010

Sour Cherry Muffins with Coconut Streusel

This was my second muffin from the impressive Williams-Sonoma book I got for Christmas. I whipped it up one morning during the February snow-in. Nothing like warm, fresh muffins and a leisurely morning in which to make and eat them. Another muffin? Don't mind if I do. I'll just nibble on it while I read the paper in my pajamas. Aaah.

These are just lovely. Crunchy sweet topping, warm soft center with the occasional cherry surprise in a bite. I try not to mess with a recipe until I've made it once, but next time I might even add a few more cherries. Just delightful and delicious.

Sour Cherry Muffins with Coconut Streusel
Streusel:
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Muffins:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup half-and-half or milk
16 oz. jarred or canned pitted sour red pie cherries, drained and dried on paper towels (not cherry pie filling)
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease 12 standard muffin cups with butter or butter-flavored cooking spray.

2. To make streusel, stir together brown sugar and flour in a small bowl. Using pastry cutter or your fingers, cut or rub in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the coconut. Set aside.

3. To make muffins, in a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

4. In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, and half-and-half. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture. Beat until thick and creamy. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Do no overmix.

5. Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it one-third full. Drop in a few cherries, add batter just to cover, then drop in a few more cherries. Spoon on more batter until the cups are filled level to the rims. Sprinkle each with 1 heaping tablespoon of coconut streusel.

6. Bake until golden, dry and springy to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Unmold the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe from Williams-Sonoma Muffins

1 comment:

Leslie said...

oh lordy..the coconut topping put it over the top! yum

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...