ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pineapple-Ginger Syrup

I came across this recipe when I was doing my research for pancake week. It wasn't right as a topping for any of the ones I was making right then, but I kept it on file to make for something, sometime.

We actually buy fresh pineapple often. Pull the spikes off, rest it upside down on a dish on the counter until ripe, then peel, core, slice and eat. Fabulous. Now, the beauty of this recipes is that it utilizes pineapple rind. So the next time we had pineapple I just saved all the stuff we didn't eat and made this awesome, versatile syrup. Simmering for awhile, it made the house smell awesome. And it tasted great, too. We mixed it with seltzer water - what a refreshing drink, but you can also drizzle over yogurt, pancakes or ice cream. YUM! (Here's Ed and my sister enjoying a glass...)Pineapple-Ginger Syrup
1 large pineapple, washed and dried
1 3-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
4 cups water

1. With a sharp knife, slice off top and bottom of pineapple. Holding fruit upright on cutting board, slice off peel in strips; reserve peel. Cut flesh into 8 wedges. Remove core; reserve. Refrigerate wedges for another use.

2. Cut reserved peel and core into 1-inch pieces; place in a medium saucepan with ginger, sugar and water. Boil until reduced to 1 cup, 25 to 30 minutes. Strain, discarding solids; chill.

Recipe from Everyday Food, March 2004

2 comments:

GR82BAMOM said...

Sounds yummy!

I always try to keep ginger in the freezer (sliced, minced, and peeled or unpeeled nubs). Ginger lasts forever in the freezer.

Dave Y said...

Yummo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...