ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Strawberry Flip Cookies

I am so embarrassed. But I have to admit it - I am on my third Hannah-Swensen-murder-mystery-with-recipes. The stories are horrible, really terrible. The dialogue no better. But the recipes are intriguing, and it's so funny how they get plugged into the stories. I allow myself to read fluff once in awhile.

But these cookies are not fluff. Obviously you can see what they are - lovely pinkish cookies (with seedless strawberry jam in the dough) with a strawberry half pressed on top to look like a heart. I made mine with frozen strawberries because that's what the recipe called for, and I wanted to see if they would really work. They do if you cut them while still mostly frozen. If you thaw them first they're too soft. I'm sure fresh strawberries would be even better. The final dusting of powdered sugar was a fun surprise because it makes the cookie powdery, but the strawberry is juicy enough to dissolve the sugar; thus, the red "heart" is in bright contrast to the white coating. So cute, so pretty, so perfect for Valentine's day.

Strawberry Flip Cookies
1 cup butter (2 sticks), melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
1 tsp strawberry extract (if you can find it; if not, vanilla)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (I did a combination)
3 cups flour
Small bowl of powdered sugar
1 bag frozen strawberries (or fresh if available)

1. Preheat oven to 375. Place oven rack in middle position.

2. Melt the butter and mix in the sugar. Add the eggs and strawberry jam, mixing in. When fully incorporated, add the strawberry (vanilla) extract, baking powder, soda and salt. Then add the chopped walnuts/pecans and the flour. Mix well.

3. Roll dough balls with your hands about the size of an unshelled walnut (if dough is too sticky, refrigerate for 30 minutes.) Roll the dough balls in powdered sugar and place them on a greased cookie sheet. Make a deep thumbprint in the center of each cookie.

4. While the strawberries are still partially frozen, cut them in half lengthwise. Flip the cut piece over and place it skin side up in the thumbprint you made on the top of each cookie.
5. Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Dust the cookies with powdered sugar and place on a pretty plate before serving. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.

*In summer months, you can substitute seedless raspberry jam and fresh raspberries to make Raspberry Flip Cookies.
Recipe from Peach Cobbler Murder by Joanne Fluke

2 comments:

Just Katy said...

Those look delicious. They make me think of the Queen of Tarts nursery rhyme.

Maren said...

I have tasted these gems and I can say that they are one of my very, very favorite new cookies. They are totally delicious (and cute). They have a really nice texture adn the flavors all balance out perfectly. I can see why someone made up a super-lame book just to publish this one recipe. It's a total keeper. (Can't wait to try it with raspberries... mmmm- summer....)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...