ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Gingery Maple Thins (by Tona)

Guest Baker Tona is my other sister. She's a super busy scholar, full-time professor, mom of four, agriculturalist and community do-gooder, so she doesn't always have time for hard-core baking. But she had a snow day last week and made these little delights for you and me. Thank you! Tona lives in Stow, Massachussetts.
I'm not usually a fan of crystallized ginger, but I really liked these cookies. I used Australian ginger, maybe that makes a difference? It seemed really soft and not as rubbery as I've used in the past. It took about 5 "wafers" of ginger to get 3 tablespoons of finely chopped. I also substituted Mapleine for the maple extract since that's what I had on hand.

I think I made my dough balls too big - more like a walnut sized is probably best, since I didn't get 2 dozen out of this. Or you could just double the recipe.

I would say these are a rather subtle cookie, perhaps even a slightly elegant one - they're not too sweet, which is nice. They were really delicious right out of the oven.

Gingery Maple Thins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
8 T (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp maple extract
3 T minced crystallized ginger
1/4 cup granulated sugar1. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment or silpat. Combine flour, baking soda, and ground ginger in a bowl. With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, maple syrup, and maple extract and mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and crystallized ginger, and mix until just combined.

2. Place 1/4 cup granulated sugar in bowl. Moisten hands with water and roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, then roll in sugar. Place sugared balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Using flat-bottomed glass, press each ball to 1/2-inch thickness. Bake until golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. (Cookies can be stored in airtight container for 1 week.) Makes about 2 dozen cookies

Recipe from Cook's Country, December 2009

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...