ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Spiced Pumpkin Doughnuts

Yay, doughnuts! This was one of the recipes that re-motivated Pumpkin Week. I figured fresh doughnuts with some pumpkin and fall spices could be enough to convert anyone, so I gave it a shot. Super exciting since it was my first time making doughnuts.

Not bad at all for my first time. The dough was perfect and delicious and so were the fried results. I had a heck of a time keeping the oil the right temperature, though. It's that darn electric heat - so hard to control, plus the fluctuations with new dough going in. I tried, I did, but my electric stove sucks. I understand deep electric skillets are good for a job like this, with their heat dials that hold steady. Naturally I used to have one, but didn't use it much so I got rid of it in one of the moves. Maddening!
So considering the fact that my oil was too hot or too cold two-thirds of the time, the doughnuts really turned out great. I think the dough must be quite forgiving because all the ones I tasted were neither too doughy nor too greasy. Really, really good.

I doubled the recipe. I figured, if I'm making doughnuts, let's GO THERE. I rolled half in cinnamon sugar hot from the oil, and glazed the other half with a made-up cinnamon glaze. Then I realized we could NEVER eat them all so we loaded up paper plates and went out to make deliveries. I think they were enjoyed by all.

In fact, here are direct quotes from my girls:

Ginger (age 2 1/2): "Too much yummy!"

Hazel (age 4 1/2): "Mom, these are g-g-g-g-g-g-g-good!" (a supreme compliment indeed.) "There's only one problem - " (very seriously) - "I want another."
On a side note, this post supports my case of needing a Lowel EGO light. These days it is almost always dark or darkening when I finish baking (especially when there's a 3-hour chill like in this recipe), so I can't use the natural light by my window for pictures. So we're stuck with the crappy-to-tolerable pictures we can get from my kitchen lights. So much for close-ups and macro details. So if anyone is feeling generous, the Lowel would really make my winter. Now, back to doughnuts!

Spiced Pumpkin Doughnuts
2 T butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil for frying
Spiced sugar (1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg)

1. In a large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in pumpkin, buttermilk, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Cover and chill 3 hours.

2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Reroll as necessary.

3. Fry doughnuts, two or three at a time, in deep hot oil (365 degrees) about 2 1/2 minutes or until golden (mine were quicker), turning once. Using a slotted spoon, remove doughnuts; drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining doughnuts and holes. Coat warm doughnuts in Spiced Sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes about 15 doughnuts and holes.

Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Baking magazine, December 2009

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...