ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Sunday, November 1, 2009

It's Pumpkin Week!

I don't really like pumpkin. Or any of those winter squashes, really - butternut, acorn, etc. Or even sweet potatoes, which also fall into that sweet-and-savory-starch category. Blech.

I mean, at Thanksgiving I'll have a sliver of pumpkin pie, with a large portion of whipped cream on top. And it's OK. But I don't really like pumpkin. Which is why I'm doing Pumpkin Week.

I like the idea of pumpkin. I love autumn and the spicy kitchen scents we associate with harvest time. And as you know, I love Trader Joe's Pumpkin Bread and Muffin mix, so I thought there might be hope. I figured if I could find seven pumpkin recipes I like, then I'd have a foundation to work from each fall. I would be able to participate in festive harvest baking and actually like eating what I make. And maybe, just maybe, I could get to the place where I can say, "I like pumpkin, sometimes."

It hasn't been easy. Pumpkin Week almost didn't happen. I collected about 15 recipes several months ago and started working my way through them, all the while trying to keep up with regular non-pumpkin VGP posts. And it's not like I could make several pumpkin recipes in a row; I had to pace myself. So when three out of the first five experiments were mediocre or disappointing, I almost gave up. How could I get to seven? So I stopped for awhile.

Then some of the holiday baking magazines started coming out and I found some new concoctions that inspired. So I tried again. And would you believe I ended up with so many successes I had to make cuts to fit into a week? So go stock up on pumpkin and meet me back here tomorrow for Day 1.

Hooray for expanding horizons and HOORAY for Pumpkin Week!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Ooooo I can't wait!! I'm excited, I LOVE pumpkin!

Jeni said...

how fun! Trav loves pumpkin an his birthday is this week!!! Can't wait! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...