ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."
Monday, April 9, 2012
Cardamom Sour Cream Twists
Cardamom Sour Cream Twists (print recipe)
Makes 2 dozen twists
1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup cold butter
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 1/2 tsp cardamom, divided
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup half-and-half
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat in the egg, egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla and yeast mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Place three ungreased baking sheets in the refrigerator.
2. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over a clean work surface. On the sugared surface, roll half of dough into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle (refrigerate remaining dough until ready to use). Sprinkle rectangle with 4 teaspoons sugar and 3/4 tsp cardamom; fold into thirds.
3. Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring and folding two more times (don't repeat the cardamom in the subsequent sugar fillings.) Roll into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut into twelve 1-in.-wide strips; twist. Place on chilled baking sheets. Repeat with remaining sugar and dough.
4. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
5. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, 3/4 tsp cardamom, and half-and-half. Dip twists into icing or drizzle icing over twists.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home by Dessert Club member R.Y.