ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Grapefruit Meringue Pie

 This was the final pie I made for Dessert Club.  I just love grapefruit!  (If you haven't tried my pink grapefruit sandwich cookies you are LAME!)  I also love lemon meringue pie - my all-time favorite from all pie occasions growing up, and into college, when the roommates were out on dates and my Saturday nights consisted of a trip to Frontier Pies and a date with the remote.

So I thought, why not grapefruit meringue?  Especially since I recently discovered a more mature way to make meringue, so it is more marshmallowy and less foamy (this recipe is done that way.)  So I Googled it, and naturally someone out there beat me to it - thanks to BakingBites for her awesome recipe contribution.

I loved this pie.  My brother Dave was slightly appalled that it wasn't more pink-grapefruit-colored.  But those in the know understand that lemon pie filling is not yellow from lemons; it's yellow from egg yolks.  And since this filling is made the same way, with the substitution of grapefruit juice for lemon juice, it, too, is yellow from egg yolks.  With an ever-so-slightly peachy tinge.  But if you add a drop or two of red food coloring, I bet you'd get it just the right pink...if you're into that kind of artificiality.

One last comment - as I got out the torch to toast this baby down, I told Dave I'd do half and he could do the other.  He shrugged and said he didn't need to.  Then he watched as I fired it up and gently browned it over.  I asked if he'd changed his mind. He said (of the torch), "It's like a gun!  And fire!  And pie!  All together!"  Turns out he did want a turn, imagine that.
 Grapefruit Meringue Pie (print recipe)

1 9-inch pie crust, prebaked (recipe here)

Filling:
1 cup sugar
3 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp ap flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
1 tbsp grapefruit zest
3 large egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
2 tbsp butter, room temperature

Meringue:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp water
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1.  In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, flour, salt and water. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring with a whisk, for 3 minutes, until quite thick. In a small bowl, combine egg yolks with grapefruit juice and zest.

2.  Gradually temper eggs with about 1/2 cup of sugar mixture, drizzling in the hot mixture very slowly. Return saucepan to the heat and, whisking continuously, stream in grapefruit mixture. Add in butter and cook over medium-high heat for another 3 minutes.  Pour into prepared crust.  Allow to cool to room temperature.

3.  Once filling is cooled, preheat oven to 350F. (Note: browning the meringue can be done with a kitchen torch, instead of putting the pie in the oven.) 

4.  In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil and turn heat to low.  In a large bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Beat in cream of tartar and beat at high speed until egg whites reach soft peaks. Carefully and very slowly, with the mixer turned to medium, stream in sugar syrup and beat egg whites to stiff peaks.  Spoon meringue onto pie filling and make sure to completely seal the edges or the meringue with the crust, leaving no filling exposed.

5.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, until meringue is lightly browned.  (Or brown with a kitchen torch.) Makes 1 pie

Recipe adapted from BakingBites.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...