ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Monday, May 24, 2010

Chock-Full of Chocolate Chip Cookies

Backstory: Elinor Klivans, author of The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook, wanted to see just how many chocolate chips she could cram into a cookie. Pure genius! So she put together a really good dough and added chips until it was bursting, or rather, "chock-full." Turned out to be about 2 cups of dough to 4 cups of chocolate chips (most chocolate chip cookie recipes have reverse proportions), which came out to about 50 chocolate chips in each cookie. Will someone please give this woman an award?
When I made them, I doubled the recipe and could only bring myself to add 6 cups of chips. It was practically all chips in the bowl and I was afraid if I added any more the cookies wouldn't hold together! It's not that I don't believe, Elinor. It's that I have to ease into it. Next time I'll add more, I promise. Eventually I will get to your level. And it will be a whole lot of fun getting there.
Chock-Full of Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
6 T granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silicone liners.

2. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

3. In a large electric mixer bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed until smoothly blended, about 1 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until blended, about 1 minute. On low speed, add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Mix in the chocolate chips by hand using wooden spoon until evenly distributed.

4. Use a tablespoon to drop heaping spoonfuls of dough (about 3 level tablespoons each) onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies 3 inches apart. Bake cookies one sheet at a time until the edges are slightly browned and the centers are golden, about 15 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 3 to 6 minutes. Use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 27 cookiesRecipe from:
 

1 comment:

Mia said...

WOW. (I think that sums it up!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...