ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Lemon Meringue Pie

I was at the store. I saw the lemons. I remembered I had a pie crust in the freezer at home. My mouth started to water. I couldn't remember how many it takes - a sure sign it's been too long since I made it - so I loaded my bag with eight, just to be sure.

It must be the weather, I thought. Weather turns cooler, look to the holidays. Think of Thanksgiving, want lemon meringue pie. Florence Manwaring's lemon meringue pie. Want it TODAY.

It was even easier than I remember (and it only took TWO lemons!) Whip it up, pour it in. Whip the meringue, top it off. Bake it to perfection. Lick the lemon-stuff pan sparkling clean - soooooo good! Let Ed have a few pieces, but eat most of it myself. Ah, satisfaction.Florence's Lemon Meringue Pie

1 baked and cooled pie crust
2 lemons (juice and zest)
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
5 to 6 T cornstarch
Pinch salt
3 eggs, separated
1 T butter
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 to 1 tsp vanilla extract
6 T sugar

1. Juice the lemons and grate zest; add to juice. Separate 3 eggs and put yolks in one bowl, whites in another. Mix the yolks well.

2. Boil 2 cups of water in a tea kettle. Pour 1 cup of sugar into a saucepan. Add 5 to 6 T cornstarch and mix with a whisk so they are well blended. Pour in the boiling water and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture becomes clear. Add a little salt.

3. Add the egg yolks slowly while stirring over medium heat. Add the lemon juice, rind and butter, stirring well. Pour the mixture into the already-baked and cooled pie crust.

4. Preheat oven to 300. Whip the egg whites with electric mixer. Add 1/4 tsp cream of tartar and continue to beat. When whites are stiff and fluffy add 6 T sugar and 1/2 to 1 tsp vanilla slowly, continuing to beat.

5. Spread meringue over lemon filling and form lovely peaks (such a fun part.) Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until meringue turns golden. Makes 1 pie (can easily be doubled.)

4 comments:

Dave Y said...

oh droool.

Luckily you have enough lemons for 3 more pies!

Carol Younce said...

Your meringue looks wonderful, and the pie piece picture is making me drool too. Didn't you win a pie making contest when you were on your Mission?

Jill T said...

Can't wait to give it a try. Love the blog--keep up the good work!

Kelsey Carreon said...

ummm.... yeah that looks so good!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...