ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Monday, June 15, 2009

Sour Cream Hazelnut Bundt Cake

What delectable deliciousness awaits you in this post! I don't even remember how I found this one online - sometimes I just start wandering around until something strikes me. I've been struck. Brought this to a friend's house for dinner. And brought my camera so I could take a picture after it had been cut into. My friends understand.

My usual concern about cakes made from scratch is that they might be dry - heaven knows I've made enough to justify the fear. But when I saw this cake has SIXTEEN OUNCES of sour cream in it, I thought we may just be onto something here. Plus I was enthralled with the concept of dusting the sprayed pan with breadcrumbs instead of flour - talk about a cake coming out easily!

So yes, the vanilla white cake was moist. Flavorful. Of perfect texture. Love it. And we haven't even gotten to the chocolate hazelnut ribbon rippling through the middle! Make it. Eat it. Enjoy it. No need for a special occasion. A half-empty jar of Nutella in your cupboard is occasion enough. But if you do have something coming up - someone's birthday, a holiday, Father's Day, ladies' brunch, high tea - it'll do for that, too.

It'll do, pig. It'll do.

Cooking spray
1 T dry breadcrumbs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (16 oz.) carton fat-free sour cream
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
2 T chocolate-hazelnut spread (Nutella)
Powdered sugar for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust with breadcrumbs.

2. Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and sour cream; beat until well blended.
3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until well combined. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, stirring just until combined.

4. Spoon half of batter into prepared Bundt pan; sprinkle evenly with hazelnuts. Drop small spoonfuls of Nutella over nuts. Spoon remaining batter over chocolate spread; swirl batter using the tip of a knife. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes; remove cake from pan. Cool completely, then sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

Recipe from Cooking Light, November 2004

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...