ANNOUNCING: Change is part of life, and apparently, it's part of blogging, too. As of September 5, 2013, I'm merging The Virtual Goody Plate with Disco Mom Takes on the World and whatever else may henceforth spill from my fingertips (and kitchen), into one great new blog. I hope you'll join me there in exclaiming, "THIS IS AWESOMELAND."

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Recipes for a 4-year-old's Birthday

My middle daughter turned 4 last week, and as I mentioned on my other blog, there seems to be at least three birthday treat occasions: school party, family party, friends party. We are always up to a challenge like that.

For the preschool take-in treat we made Martha Stewart's Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. Fluffy Chocolate Frosting, cute rainbow sprinkles and balloon toothpick toppers finished them off. I'm sorry I didn't take pictures; it was a busy morning and I completely forgot.

For the family party, we made a triple layer dark chocolate cake, using this cake recipe but filled and frosted with more Fluffy Chocolate Frosting (and accompanied by chocolate ice cream, naturally.) I took the chance to try out my new Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa from King Arthur, and it was truly dark. There were no complaints, but I think I'll use it a bit more sparingly in the future. (Ginger decorated it herself with mini M&M's.)

And for the friends party last weekend, we had Triple Layer Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting (and vanilla ice cream.) It's a popular birthday choice in our house of three girls - so pink! And that strawberry frosting is one of my favorites! She said she wanted "strawberry shortcake" but upon further queries we figured out she really wanted this, and we were right.
A perfectly fabulous run of sweet treats - chocolate chip, triple chocolate, then double strawberry? What more could a 4-year-old want?

P.S. Today is Ed's birthday. And my Mom's. Happy Birthday to them both!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...